THE BIRMINGHAM MODEL YACHT CLUB
The club shall be known as "The Birmingham Model Yacht Club" and shall be affiliated to the M.Y.A.
- The aims of the club shall be to promote the interest of members in the design, building and racing of model sailing yachts that conform to the M.Y.A. classes the club shall adopt.
- Any person, whether or not the owner of a model yacht who is interested in sailing, is eligible for membership. They shall complete an application form which shall be submitted to the Secretary for consideration by the committee. Honorary membership may be awarded at the discretion of the committee to those who have made a significant contribution to the club. In addition to the normal rights and privileges of membership their membership fees will be paid by the club.
- Every member of the Club undertakes to comply with the Club rules and any refusal or neglect to do so or any conduct which in the opinion of the Committee is injurious to the interests of the Club shall render a member liable to expulsion.
- Members of another clubs, invited to BMYC for the purpose of organised competition, or to take part in training, may be admitted to the Club. Such persons shall be temporary members of the Club and shall have use of the facilities of the Club during their period of stay.
- The Commodore in consultation with the Committee has overall responsibility for the safe operation of the Club.
- Every member is responsible for their own safety and their authorised visitors.
- The Race Officer is responsible to the Committee for the safe operation of the Club and all on water activities whilst they are on duty. The Race Officer is also responsible for recording of the results and passing them to the Racing Secretary.
- A general meeting of members shall be held once each year at which all officers and auditors will be appointed for the following year.
a. The officers of the club will consist of:
President/Secretary, Commodore, Treasurer/Membership Secretary and Racing Secretary
b. The management of the club will be carried out by a committee that shall
President/Secretary Commodore (Chairman), Treasurer/Membership Secretary, Bosun
Racing Secretary, Web site editor, Facebook editor, Rota Secretary.
c. A quorum for a committee meeting will be:
Commodore, Secretary, and three other members of the committee.
10. An extraordinary general meeting may be held with fourteen days’ notice at any time at the discretion the committee. Additionally, should ONE THIRD of paid up members request an EGM in writing or email; fourteen days’ notice of time, date and venue, shall be sent to all members
11. Subscriptions shall be paid annually to the Treasurer/Membership Secretary on 1st January each year. In the event of subscription not being paid before the 15th March in any year, the members concerned shall be notified in writing by secretary to that effect and their right to attend meetings or to take part in club events shall be forfeit until such time as subscription is paid.
12. a. Racing will be conducted in accordance with the RRS and the current sailing programme
b. Racing yachts shall have valid rating certificates, however, dispensation may be granted by the committee in special circumstances and where no performance enhancement is apparent
13. The club shall adopt or discontinue any of the classes currently being raced subject to a 2/3 majority vote of fully paid up members present at an A.G.M. n the event of a withdrawal of a class, one year’s notice shall be given to all members.
14. In the event of the club being dissolved the assets of the club are to be lodged with Two Trustees who will be the Secretary and Treasurer of the club to be held in trust in the hope that the club would reform. If after SIX YEARS the club does not reform then the assets of the club shall be disposed of within the "MIDLAND DISTRICT CLUBS".
15. The club may elect annually, two members to represent the club at MIDLAND DISTRICT COMMITTEE meetings.
b. The club may elect annually, two members to represent the club at M.Y.A. general meeting
16. Visitors shall normally be allowed to sail at the club on a maximum number of three occasions after which time they will be required to pay a membership fee or further visits may take place at a fee of £5 each visit.
17. The constitution shall only be altered at an Annual General Meeting or an EGM by majority of members present.
5th December 2019
1. Safety Boat - A kill cord must be worn at all times when operating the outboard motor and personal buoyancy aids must be worn when afloat.
2. Access – Members should park their vehicles to allow access at all times for the emergency services to reach front door and slipway.
3. Smoking – The clubhouse and grounds are at all times designated as a non-smoking area.
4. Bosun’s Store - The Bosun is responsible to the Management Committee for maintenance of the store cupboard and the equipment therein.
5. Children - whilst at the Club are the responsibility of their parent or guardian. The Club does not act in any way in loco parentis
6. Race Entries - All boats must be signed on at the beginning of the race or face disqualification
7. Prizes – The number of prizes awarded to be awarded shall be decided by the Committee following advice from the Racing Secretary.
8. Courses – The race course will normally be displayed on a notice board ahead of the race and the number of laps shall also be indicated.
9. Starting - The starting sequence shall be of one minute duration and three boats will constitute a race.
10. Recalls – Individual boats OCS shall be signified by a hail by the Race Officer. Should the boat continue to race they will be disqualified without a hearing. Where there is a General Recall, all boats should return to the starting area as soon as practicable.
11. Finishing – The Finishing line may not be the same as the start line and a boat finishing shall normally have her number hailed to that effect.
12 Retirement – A boat that retires shall inform the Race Officer as soon as possible after all other boats have finished the race.
13. Protests – A boat wishing to protest should have first hailed the alleged offending boat by calling ‘protest’ and then inform the Race Officer of their intention to protest as soon as possible after the conclusion of the race.
The club has adopted the RYA Advisory Hearing procedure to settle all protests.
14. Facebook - may be used by members with the primary purpose of enhancing communications within the club. It must not be used to make personal comments about members in particular or to express critical views about the club, its management or officers in general. Such views will be removed from the site and the offending member shall be given a written warning by the FB Controller. If the member repeats this action, they will, at the discretion of the committee, be excluded from posting further articles on the web site.
15. Sailing is now permitted at anytime but there should be at least two persons present and we must keep clear of SSC boats and paddleboards
Club Rules - These rules may be amended and updated by a decision of the Committee.
June 2021 Updates - July 2019 - Rule 14 . June 2021 rule 15
AGM - Dec 19 Constitution Rule 16 changed to allow visitors a further three visits @£5 each visit after the first three free visits.